Applications for the Youth Advisory Board(YAB) are now open!
Click HERE to apply!
What is the Youth in Focus Youth Advisory Board (YAB)?
The Youth Advisory Board (YAB) serves to connect youth with leadership opportunities in the arts community. The YAB will collaborate with staff, the Board of Directors, teaching artists, and the community to create a future in the arts that is in vision with today’s teens.
There will be between 8-10 teens in the YAB each year between the ages 13-19 years old to ensure the age group we serve at YiF is represented.
Participation will include attending meetings at the Youth in Focus office and field trips to explore local arts organizations. The YAB will create a list of priorities, along with staff, to create an agenda for the year. Priorities can include outreach, policy decision-making, fundraising support, community connections, etc. When the YAB isn’t working on program-related work, we’ll explore the importance of art through artistic connection!
Why is the YAB important?
Youth in Focus wants to create a future alongside our students. We do a lot on behalf of the young people we serve. The key word there is “on behalf.” And while young people will always warrant adult advocates working on their behalf for a better future, it is time we recognize that they are constantly leading on behalf of themselves! We are committing to centering youth voices in a real way! This commitment will look like being involved in important decisions, providing mentorship experiences, and giving the youth a hands-on experience.
- Open to any current/recent Youth in Focus student.
- Students who have completed at least one YIF class (can be summer camp, CCC, or after-school).
- Students between the ages of 13-19 years old.
- Students who are passionate for contributing to the future of YIF!
- Be active via email for all YAB communications
- Show up! Be ready to attend, engage, and plan during meetings!
The YAB will meet in person once a month (considerations may be made to join virtually) as a group. Meetings will be held at the Youth in Focus office (2100 24th Ave S, Suite 310, Seattle, WA, 98144). The exact schedule will be determined by the YAB yearly. In-person participation is expected unless arranged otherwise.
January - June 2024
Time TBD based on cohort
12 hours meeting time
Attendance is important and expected to keep the work moving forward! After 2 missed meetings/events, YiF staff will check in with you to discuss ongoing participation in the YAB.
Part of our program philosophy is that we believe in paying artists for their work, whether that work is photography or contributing your expertise and ideas to the YAB! Advisory members will receive a stipend of $180 for participation in the six required meetings (January - June). In addition, YAB members are eligible and encouraged to take on additional project-based work (for example: social media support, office assistance, student recruiting, etc.), which is paid at $20/hr.
Timeline for the Application Process:
- Application deadline: November 27th by 11:59 pm
- Applications will be reviewed on November 29th
- We will notify you on the status of your application on November 30th
- Interviews will take place between December 4th - 15th
- Interview status will be shared on December 20th
- Final committee roster will be confirmed on Jan 10th
- Program start date TBD - estimated to start mid-Jan